Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Jamie Heart Skinny Pigs


I woke up today feeling tired. Even so, I dragged my butt through the cold to my practicum not only because I love the work but also because I need more client hours to graduate. Most days I'm very happy to be here but today I'm grouchy. I'm grouchy because ALL of my clients have cancelled and I could still be sleeping or working on my thesis. I'm also unhappy with myself because in my boredom, I went ape on Valentine's Day chocolates and cookies that we have laying around the office. Now I feel sick.

So to stave off my foul mood, I've decided to write about something that makes me very happy. Skinny Pigs!...another one of my "favourite animals". Oh how clearly I remember that glorious day in 2001 when I first laid eyes on a hairless guinea pig. In addition to making cool guinea pig noises, this creature was fabulously hairless except for tufts on the top of his nose.

I fell in love and named him Pickles.

I visited Pickles faithfully, dragging my friends and siblings to see him at Petland. I talked about him so much that my mom offered to buy Pickles for me as a gift. Sadly, I declined because I had nowhere to keep him. The only downside to Pickles was his unsettlingly large and highly visible testicles. This morning I found a fun picture of a skinny pig sweater online. If I ever bought a skinny pig I would learn to knit, not only so that I could express my love for Pickles 2, but also to keep him warm and cover his nuts. Then we'd all be a little more comfortable.
Happy Valentines Day Pickles, wherever you are.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definatly remember being taken to Petland on more than 1 occasion to see the skinny pig. I think I may have screamed a little at first. They are alot stranger looking in real life, that pic makes him look pretty cute, but don't let it fool you. And yes, if anything, I remember his testicles.

Jamie said...

Oh Jame, I'm sorry to have subjected you to my love for weird ugly things but I know that deep down you love skinny pigs too.

If I can learn to love snakes and see their beauty (which I do because of you!), you can come to appreciate hairless guinea pigs... Or at least respect their sizeable nuts!

DaveJenn said...

Wow, thats one ugly animal! I can hardly believe how ugly it is. Regardless of its sizeable nuts I don't know how you could love such a beast!

kinneyland said...

Wow, I know what my nightmares will be about tonight.
That is the creepiest thing I have ever seen, and now the image is burned into my memories
Happy Valentines indeed

Paige said...

I bet with testicles like had, Pickles had his choice of all the ladies...

Jody said...

You never took me to see the little piggy you know Jamie i would have gone.They are so dam ugly ya kinda feel sorry for them, the only thing they have going for them is there BIIIIIIG nuts.LOL have a good day kido

Jamie said...

Everyone should go meet a skinny pig. It will change your life! Jody, I'm sorry for not taking you for a visit. You would have loved him!

Sarah said...

First of all, he kinda looks like a mini hippo...And I didn't know that Skinny Pig was an actual term! When Danielle Calkins and I were living in Quebec we would get on tangents of singing that hot dog song that we used to sing in youth group, and instead of singing "skinny kids" I accidently said "skinny pigs"...and it stuck. Now I can't think of hot dogs without thinking of the word "skinny pig" and now I will have an actual image to go with that!

Jamie said...

I totally think they look like mini hippos! And I love that hot dog song, it always makes me think of crappy youth group hot dog sales.

Anonymous said...

shoot, I can't remember the hot dog song. could you sing me a little rendition?

Jamie said...

I can give you the words. It's from Simpsons. I bet you could find it on youtube.

Hot dogs, armour hot dogs
What kind of kids eat armour hot dogs?
Fat kids, skinny kids, kids the climb on rocks.
Tall kids, short kids, even kids with chicken pox eat hotdogs.
Remember?

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh yeah! maybe I shouldn't have asked!

Avey said...

Do you know if Mike and Jody are coming on Sunday? And thanks for the invite to the chocolate factory. I think I'll be driving Jonny and Marina to red deer that morning though.

C-Train said...

Hey Jamie,

I remember you taking me to Petland to see Pickles. I was simultaneously horrified and fascinated by this creature and it's abnormally large "region". Good times.

Candace

Anonymous said...

What the hell is wrong with you assholes!!! they r 1. not ugly 2. how can you be soo obsessed with a damn picture

 
Background by Jennifer Furlotte / Pixels and IceCream