Saturday, January 5, 2008

Wardrobe Dysfunction

I'm going to a bar downtown tonight to see a show. I'm excited about seeing the band and I'm pumped to hang out with some friends who are in town for the holidays.

On Friday I was out for lunch with these same friends, worrying aloud about what I should wear to the show. My anxiety stems from the fact that I'm just not cool enough for indie shows (or any other shows) and neither is my wardrobe.

To illustrate my lack of coolness, I told the girls about the time a bunch of kids from my bible school drove up to Edmonton to watch Grandmaster Flash dj. Not knowing that Grandmaster Flash was playing a rave, I put on my "coolest" sweater, which I had picked up from Value Village. The sweater was chocolate brown with a small gold lion embroidered on the chest.

At the rave, I felt okay in my brown sweater amidst all of the kids with their loofahs, glow sticks, soothers, and neon spandex dresses. And then I went to the bathroom. While I waited in line, one of the tiny raver girls asked me if I was a security guard. A security guard. That's how cool I was in my awesome brown sweater.

So tonight I'm heading downtown wearing jeans and my current coolest shirt. I have a good feeling about this one. But then again, I also felt pretty hot in my security guard sweater so it's hard to know how things will turn out.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Oh Jamie you crack me up. Security guard! Oh dear, I could see that totally happening to me too.

I question my sense of what's "in". Lance questions it too and that really gets me going.

At the same time there are things I wear, knowing they are not cool but choosing them for functionality, because I'm too cheap to buy something I already have just cause mine isn't cool, or maybe I just like it even if it's not in style. And doing that makes me wonder if I have become like the 30 year old alumni of my highschool - how could they, over 20 years later, look exactly like their grad pictures? They seemed to have gotten stuck. Am I stuck too? Just a little stuck maybe?

Oh well.

Hope your coolest shirt worked out. I think you should post a photo!

Aimee

ps. thanks for you kind words and prayers.

kinneyland said...

If all else fails, you could just show off your cool underwear...

Paige said...

When I was in grade 2 I used to wear my New Kids on the Block sweatshirt all the time, to the point that girls would tease me and asked if I had any other clothes to wear. Kids can be so cruel...

Heather M. said...

LOL! That would so happen to me!
I hope it all turned out good!

 
Background by Jennifer Furlotte / Pixels and IceCream