Friday, July 13, 2007

Possibly My Worst Idea Ever

Recently I saw something on TV about how keeping anything plugged into the wall, even when it's not being used, consumes electricity. Consequently, I've been trying to unplug kettles, lamps, the toaster oven, etc. Last week I was ironing some clothes in the basement and noticed how many of our outlets were filled with plugs. In the name of environmentalism, I happily wandered around unplugging everything.
..

Two days later, we were planning to go to Kyle's parent's for a barbeque. After Kyle went downstairs to get some hamburger from the freezer, I heard him call my name. I went down, thinking that my sister Kristed's lovely dog might have left a dookie in a dark corner of our basement. However, when I got to the bottom of the stairs I saw Kyle standing in a puddle in front of our darkened freezer, looking confused.
....
"Jamie, something is wrong with the freezer. It's not working"
......
My stomach dropped between my feet and for a fleeting moment, I considered blaming it on Kristed...or her dog. Anybody...
.....
"Ah... ... I... unplugged it."
...
"WHAT?!"
..
Needless to say, Kyle was pretty upset. He grabbed a giant rubber bin and started whipping melting objects out of our freezer. When he asked to be left alone with my puddly disaster, I skulked upstairs and waited quietly.
. ..
Thankfully, our freezer is really new and most of the meat was still half-frozen. Oh man, I can't imagine how much trouble I would have been in if it had sat there for a couple more days. In my defense, the freezer was plugged into an extension cord, and attached to a distant wall. It's not as though I walked behind the freezer and yanked on it.
....
Kyle did get over his quiet rage after about an hour, although he did threaten to resurrect his blog again. The last time he did that was when I didn't quite kill a fly before putting it in the garbage and it buzzed/dragged itself onto his hand while he was throwing something out.

7 comments:

kinneyland said...

But what does Kyle's rage, unfrozen frozen food and environmental purists have with the Brother Danielson?

kinneyland said...

Oh come on Jamie, you're killing me! What's with the picture? I just can't figure out a connection. Was there nine fruit pie in the freezer that went bad, or perhaps it was a smooth death, take it slow, as all the ice cream melted?

heather said...

HAHAHA, Jamie you are too funny. I heard you guys are going to Eve's wedding, looks like I'll see you there. Make sure to save a dance for me;)

Just Tim said...

Ah Jamie!! You are too funny! I accidentally left our fridge freezer open by just an inch while we were away for the weekend. When we got back I spent an hour chipping away on the frost that had built up just so we could close the door all the way again. I’m guessing the weird guy in the tree costume has something to do with environmentalism.

Geegee said...

I laughed out loud when I read this post. I feel bad about the wasted food, but it is still kind of funny how you innocently got into this mess.

Jamie said...

No need to feel too badly about wasted food. We only threw out some potatoe casserole...and it was only because I was looking for an excuse to throw it out. The rest of it was a-ok. Or at least I hope it is. No sickness so far...

Celia, I love your search for the connection. You overestimate my artistic ability. There's no link. I had no idea who that was. It was just supposed to be tree-huggerish. But I did like your comment about how the ice cream had a smooth death (that's the only Danielson song I could name).

Heather M. said...

Oops!!! That is totally something I would do!

 
Background by Jennifer Furlotte / Pixels and IceCream