Friday, October 12, 2007

Nun Update

I've had a long dry spell when it comes to seeing the neighbourhood nuns... maybe they're getting their groceries delivered.

When I was a kid, we had this wonderful Catholic sister who lived in an apartment building down the street from my house. Her name was Sister Aquinas. She drove a tiny car the colour of an orange tic tac, which she would pull over at a moment's notice to chat with neighbourhood kids and hand out pieces of juicy fruit. She also had a watch with a disciple at every hour.

Today I was looking online and saw a site featuring photographs of an order of French Nuns who run a soup kitchen in Harlem. Some of the women started taking tae kwon do lessons for exercise. Of course, they don't go around drop-kicking New Yorkers but apparently, five-foot tall Sister Mary (pictured above) is pretty awesome. Look at that air and those furious fists! I'll bet the next photograph was of the tae kwon do teacher crumpled against the far wall.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out the cross she's wearing!

Jamie said...

I noticed that. I think it just turned around mid-kick, not that she purposely wears an upside down cross when she brings out her awesome moves. But that would probably make her much more intimidating...and confusing.

Amisha said...

It was big red not juicy fruit.

Jamie said...

Maybe she only gave the cute kids juicy fruit.

Amisha said...

If that was the case I don't think you would know that she gave out gum.

Paige said...

I know you're busy working on your thesis, but I need a blog update girl! And I must say, I really enjoyed the catty gum quarrel. To think I missed out on such things having no siblings...

 
Background by Jennifer Furlotte / Pixels and IceCream